Thursday, March 15, 2007

'Are you from Orstraya?': the whinings of another bloody Australian supply teacher in London

The interest I had thought that would be stirred by London students on having a teacher (albeit supply teacher) from Australia is really only ever a nuisance as for 1;(yes there is a list) everyone in London is from somewhere else (including 50 million other Aussie supply teachers) and 2: the constant questions about Orstraya and the mocking of my accent take up alot of valuable lesson time (end list). It is not what I had envisioned would happen when I engaged the students in a variety of fantastic learning strategies and experiences.

But then again, either is the paper-throwing, the fake names, the worksheet/paper-aeroplanes, the fighting in class, fighting outside of class, fighting in corridors, fighting at break, fighting in the dining hall...... And this was just Year 4...
(no really, these little Year 4 boys I had were tearing each other to bits in the classroom while their teacher watched and suggested 'please stop darlings...?').

And yes, the barely disguised sarcasm/aggression here is my form of therapy/catharsis/psychological treatment needed for my working week. It is either that or build voodoo dolls of year 11 boys in hooded tops who call me 'man'...
For the third time, I am not a 'man' and we speak English in Orstraya!